help needed

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
graham wright

help needed

Post by graham wright »

my ns400r will not rev over 7000 any idears[/list]

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

This has been mentioned before but I think that I lost the post when my hard drives crashed.

If I remember, the outcome based on the experince of a few owners was a faulty generator. Get the coils rewound and it's all fine.

I'm sure a few of the others will come along soon and advise you.

borgNSR

Post by borgNSR »

If it revs strong and hard to 7000 and dies there, it's probably a fault in the high speed stator winding.

Replace the stator and you should be all set. Or have it rewound/repaired somewhere...

borgNSR

andyred

Post by andyred »

I had this problem, I changed the plugs, coils and leads, checked the carbs all to no avail. Then I changed the generator, this totally cured the problem. The generator has coils for the charging and igniton circuits. One of the ignition coils insulation had degraded and was shorting under load (higher revs = higher load).
If you take it to a electric motor rewinders (Yelow Pages?) they should be able to easily fix it at a resonable cost if you can't locate a spare.

Andy
andyred

Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Probably also worth checking ATAC actuation, this and the stator are common faults.

gumball

Post by gumball »

Welcome grham wright to THE forums,

Darn stator! Changed mine too yup yup... 8)
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution

graham wright

re help needed

Post by graham wright »

thanks for all of you that replied the bike is going in on thursday for complete check over it has only done 9000 mls from new it was fine and went all of a sudden it has also lost a bit of bottom end im also thinking of changing the pipes to do away with the atac system i have been told this will increase the top end revs as the pipes cross over under neath and are a bit longer i have no idear of the value of this bike if anybody has an idear could they be kind enough to let me know as i could not tell the insurance company

many thanks

graham

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

Have to ask, you say it's "going in" for a check. Just make sure that it's checked by someone who has half a brain. A lot of "mechanics" have never seen a 2 stoke let alone an NS400R. I wouldn't trust any of the local bike places around here to look at my TDR's let alone my NS400R !
And being a Honda dealer doesn't mean shit either.

Just a personal view that.

gumball

Re: re help needed

Post by gumball »

grham wright wrote:i have no idear of the value of this bike if anybody has an idear could they be kind enough to let me know
Hmmm...First things first, you don't read the forums I see :lol: Try reading some of the articles and history of the bike, it's engine design, and notice the difference. When I first got mine, I didn't know anything about her. Then I did my research and discovered it's true value and beauty. As of today, I have gotten alot and I mean alot of offers from buyers. Because people around have seen, heard BUT never really knew, rode, and tried an ns400r. Actually only now it's gaining a reputation (in the country that is). Regarding your question, you can make the value (LOL) Cheers!
HIGH RPM IS WHERE IT IS!
Tread With Caution

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Hi All.
Now it has happened to me. That the bike do not rev more then 7000 rpm.

The background is that when I should start the bike today there was no light on the bike. Of some reason the battery was dead... I took and hook up the bike to the car with start cables and started it (it would not start otherwise). And all was ok! I drove away to the city to meet some friends (stopped the bike and it started fine when we drove away). We drove ca 20 km and all the time I was driving at high revs. And today is a hot day.

Suddenly the bike would not rev past 7000 but below that engine speed there was no problem...

With this background in mind I believe that the generator had a very hard task. It had hot outdoor climate, high revs (read high current flow) and if that was not enough it had to charge a empty battery also. Altogether the generator got TO hot and went bad...

So a bit of advise do always make sure that you NEVER drive your bike with a empty battery. If you do so then you jeopardy your generator that MAY fail for you.

Now to couple of questions:
Has any of you tried a capacitor instead for a battery?
And do anyone know if when you use capacitor instead for a battery makes/puts more stress on the generator so that above wont/may happen again? (after I have repair it)
I believe that the bike is not so easy to start with a capacitor then it is with a properly charged battery. Or?
Best regards.

Hondaen

Post by Hondaen »

Luciano: A capacitor will stress the generator more than a lead acid battery will: Hughe inrush current when empty.

I see no reason changeing the lead acid battery pack, other than weigt. The ns400r work without a battery. Only problem I has found is the oil waring light which is always on with a bad or missing battery.
Soichiro Honda - "I've never refused competitors' visits to our factory. I've welcomed them at any time. Because I am willing to jump to new innovations when they try to follow us."