Ahhh!!!! I need some tyres quick...Please help

Upgrading or servicing, find your answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Luke Richardson

Post by Luke Richardson »

Hey, I added the smiley icon to my message because I'll be attending my first track day in a couple of weeks. Now, right now I have some BT45s on there and they seem to work just fine, but I'm going to buy some new tyres for my first track day just to be safe. I've heard the BT39s recommended but couldn't find any proof of their existance on the website. So, my question to all you NS experts out there is, what are the stickiest tyres I can get for my bike. Bike has stock rims, but I'm not sure what the measurements are...and sometimes you can fit bigger tyres than stock (like for my old RZ500). Anyways, the track day is in 2 weeks so I could really use some advice ASAP.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke Richardson

Hey,

Thanks, I'm heading to the shop right after work to see what they can do for me...What's the difference between the bt39 and bt39ss ?? Anything significant? Should I go after either one especially??

Thanks again,

Luke

smokelog

Post by smokelog »

bt39ss should be stickier, but is only available in a good size for the rear (17-120/70 if i remember correct). so the idea is to combine it with bt39 on the front. I never rode either since I am quite pleased with the bt45 - at least in comparison with metzeler me33/99, my previous tires.

Lukas

smokelog

Post by smokelog »

bt39ss should be stickier, but is only available in a good size for the rear (17-120/70 if i remember correct). so the idea is to combine it with bt39 on the front. I never rode either since I am quite pleased with the bt45 - at least in comparison with metzeler me33/99, my previous tires.

Lukas

Luke Richardson

well, just called one of the local bike shops here in Ottawa, Canada. The guy said he used to have an NS for 10 years and always used Metzelers...he recommended a 100/90/16 me33 lazer for the front and a 120/90/17 me55 metronic for the rear...anyways, he says they were great...so which are better? I know everyone has their own opinions, so by all means, please share them.

Thanks,

Luke

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

The tyres I used to use in the late 1980's were a 110/90/16 ME33 front Metzeler and a Metzeler ME1 120/70 17 CompK rear. These tyres came off the race winning South African race bikes so must be pretty damned good. I always liked them. Having said that, the ME33 front did have a tendency towards instability/desire to tank slap at speed which was disconcerting to say the least.

By comparison the BT 45 Bridgestones fitted on the bike I have just picked up seem much more stable and for that reason alone I would prefer them. The caveat being that I have not ridden them long and fast enough to really tell yet. So for my tuppence worth, I'd stick with the Bridgestones and see if you can get the stickier versions for the track.

Alastair

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The 45 is a touring tyre and the 39 is a sports tyre.Like a bt020 to a bt010.The ss means it is a race compound,so really sticky.I have one on my bike and it rocks,but not going to last long.The me33 i had on the front was o.k but took ages to heat up and it sleadged when really pushed.The 39 has a beater profile front and rear than the other tyres that i have used or seen. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hi Dude, I ve played around with tyres and have found that the bt39 or the bt39ss are the best tyre for the stock rims.I had to wait about 4 months for my 2 front tyres to turn up from nip land.So expect some delay.They are cheap as pig shit in comparinsion to big bike tyres.Have a look on the Bridgestone globle web sites for pics and info.You might have to do some diging for info but if you get stuck I can help.
Tyres are cheap in comaro to fairings and pride,so don't be a cheap **** and skimp on tyres!!
Ride Safe.

G [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

smokelog

Post by smokelog »

Had the same problem - i never really got the me33 hot. And the bt55 in the rear was not too sticky to - good slide control though. with the bt45 in the front its much better now. no track experiance.

Has anybody tried the brandnew metzeler me330/550?
I think there is 16-110/90 and 17-120/80 available.

alastair:
I think the instability might come from the combination - isn't that bias front and radial rear? Stability is the only thing i could not complain about with Me33/me55

Lukas

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Frog - You remember better than I do about the mix of radial and cross ply tyres! Not an uncommon combination at the time as I recall. From memory the VF1000RE came standard with a radial rear and cross ply front. It was not the cause of the instabilty though. It was still much in evidence with a standard 110/90/17 Metzeler. But when I changed to Michelin Hi-Sports when the supply from the racers dried up, the problem disappeared. Both I and the Honda dealer spent a lot of time checking the bike over thoroughly to overcome the problem, to the point of replacing head bearings and the like. The ME33 front was the only common factor it seemed. That's why I blame the ME33 front. But then it can't be all bad if the racers used them albeit with a modified rear suspension and probably a modified front.

Alastair

smokelog

Post by smokelog »

Alastair - of course are right about the radial/cross ply combinations (and the vf1000). To my excuse: this was in some sence before my time. I do have my drivers licence since 1996 - actually i have it since 1992, but this was restricted to 27hp (+ by some weight limit :-( ) and i didn't want to get bypassed by every well tuned vespa.