weird oil leak

All your power station questions answered. Posting restricted to registered users.
Will

weird oil leak

Post by Will »

I just got a 1986 ns400r. The fellow I bought it from said that it leaked oil from the lube oil system if it was on the sidestand but not if the bike was vertical. He said he changed the oil pump seal but it did not stop leaking. Any way he was correct. Brought the bike home - put it on the sidestand. oil leaking out. It was noticible on the exhaust expansion chambers. put a block of wood under the sidestand. oil flow stopped. Any ideas out there? help help. Thanks. Will

Alastair

Post by Alastair »

No ideas but suggest you remove the lower exhausts and have a good look around under the motor. The source should be obvious.

ducnomore

Re: weird oil leak

Post by ducnomore »

Will wrote:I just got a 1986 ns400r. The fellow I bought it from said that it leaked oil from the lube oil system if it was on the sidestand but not if the bike was vertical.
My bike leaks oil from the top of the oil tank. If the tank is filled too high it comes out the rubber grommet around the level sensor and ends up under the motor.
Just my 2 cents.
:)
Image Image
1986 NS400R
2007 GSXR1000

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

Mine leaks from the oil sensor too when the bike is full of oil. Don't fill the oil tank to the top.

There is also a tiny leak from where the main oil line connects to the oil pump. Don't know if keeping the bike upright would stop that though.

Stroker

Post by Stroker »

Might also be from the air filter box which has a drain for excess filter oil.

blenheimrider
Location: formally Northwich, then Sittingbourne. Moved to the netherlands Now Worthing, W Sussex

Post by blenheimrider »

Mine also leaks from the oil sensor too when the bike is full of oil. So I don't fill the oil tank to the top anymore.

One solution to this might be to get an O ring seal onto the sensor but I think it is easier to not fill it to the top.

Did you also notice that there was a drip of oil coming off the bottom of the swing arm where the chain slider is?

Cheers

Paul
GRINNING WIDER THAN A CHESHIRE CAT AGAIN.
THEN A MAN OF KENT OR IS IT A KENTISH MAN
DUTCH FOR A WHILE
NOW IN WORTHING W SUSSEX

Richard Cuthbert

OIL LEAK

Post by Richard Cuthbert »

Yes the oil sensor acts as a pump for some reason...I've a second reservoir hidden behind the hanger on the left exhaust ...it's perfectly in the path of the oil as it drips..drips ..drips... I bought a spare rubber collar like the one around the reservoir filler opening. Put that around the neck of the bottle where the sensor fits and this does seem to catch the oil and temporarily stops the oil from getting everywhere else ...this does work okay. Just don't fill the bottle up to full as has been said. I suspect that the other oil you mentioned is in fact from this leak but it should be clear what kind of oil your seeing as the 2-temp is so different from normal engine oil that you should be able to easily sense the type by colour, feel, smell, taste kidding....

brewser

oil leak

Post by brewser »

Mine used to leak like this but i found it was the seal around the gear change lever the seal only costs about a fiver so maybe worth a try

Hondaen

Post by Hondaen »

A bit offtopic but..: All oil leaks should be considered serious. I NEVER play with cooling and oil.

Before every run on my NS400R, I check oil and cooling system to be in working order. This engine dont got the luxury of a oil bath like the four strokes.

I have seen many NS400R engines that looks like shit. I am not surprised that engine and gear failure occur, when people abuse them.
Soichiro Honda - "I've never refused competitors' visits to our factory. I've welcomed them at any time. Because I am willing to jump to new innovations when they try to follow us."

Sean7R

Post by Sean7R »

ive had an oil leak as mentioned at the start of this thread, it came from the gearbox via the oil seal next to the front sprocket, not an easy repair as the cases need to be split, but a good time to look at the gearbox.
what colour is the oil?
sean7r

millm2310

Post by millm2310 »

Winter project has started and now in strip down mode got my work cut out as you can see, Look familiar guys.
I will hopfuly be placing a pictorial and write up in the forums so you can follow along and it may help someone in the future even if its not how to do it.

Mark

Did it look like this LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
North Somerset Rep for the NABD

Will

Post by Will »

Thanks for all the replys I have been getting. the oil that leaks is blue - which makes it lube oil and not transmission oil. I am starting to suspect it is coming from the oil pump regulator shaft where it penetrates the pump body. Does anyone know if this is possible? When I took the cover off the oil pump the oil was visible on the left side off the cover ( facing the bike from the front end) but not on the right side. It had run down the raised portion of the cover and was draining on to the pipes. wiped off the pump throughly and observed blue oil appear on the regulator cable sector. Thanks again. Will

blenheimrider
Location: formally Northwich, then Sittingbourne. Moved to the netherlands Now Worthing, W Sussex

Post by blenheimrider »

Hi Will

When I first got my bike back in April last year I had a similar leak to that you are describing.

I thought I found that the leak was from the seal between the oil pump and the drive shaft, so I replaced this seal and the leak didn't stop. Then I discovered a pinhole in the metal feed pipes between the oil pump and the inlet to the engine.

I called around and found a breaker who was breaking an NS and I bought this feed pipe and the pump of the broken bike.

I replaced both on my bike and now I only have the leak from the top of the oil tank as discussed earlier.

I would check the pipe between the pump and the engine, if you think it is from the pump there is one on Ebay at the moment check out this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-NS400R-auto ... dZViewItem

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul
GRINNING WIDER THAN A CHESHIRE CAT AGAIN.
THEN A MAN OF KENT OR IS IT A KENTISH MAN
DUTCH FOR A WHILE
NOW IN WORTHING W SUSSEX