Dead battery effects...

The bit everyone hates, electrical problems. Hope you find your fix here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Richard Cuthbert

Dead battery effects...

Post by Richard Cuthbert »

Hello out there..first post this...a little history...have Japanese import NS400R which I got in Holland in 1999 and subsequently have moved to France. This was the first bike I've had since I was 17 which is a WHILE ago! I fell over the NS back in '97 when I was living in Toronto. I love this bike and have had amazing luck with it really over the time I've owned her, 16,000 kms and only changed the plugs really. A few problems with knowing mechanics at a garage that changed my tires and damed the sprocket bearings... but now the battery has packed it in, as in won't take a charge but perhaps of interest to you all are the weird effects this is having on the electrical systems, symptoms being mostly affecting the various lights; turn signals wink until the revs are up then go out, oil pressure light comes on faintly then goes out at speed then upon decellerating comes on at full brightness then will go out again (that's scary!), headlight dims, revs over 2000 and instrument lights dim to nothing. Now this is really a question. I am hesitant to buy a new battery in case these horrors are caused by SOMETHING OTHER than the dead battery. If any one has had experience here and can help it'd be very welcome.... oh...Sometimes I do have a problem getting into 2nd and sometimes it will drop back into neutral. It's an '85 f. ... best regards to all....

rvt2002

Post by rvt2002 »

If i were you im going to change the battery :) Battery doesnt cost that much. 8)

Ian
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No
Location: UK, Near the middle................................

Post by Ian »

I've seen a faulty regulator do similar things on bikes. If left then you'll need a new battery and regulator.

Get an electrical test meter and check the battery voltage. Expect 0v-14v DC.

Take the battery off the bike and check it's acid levels. Top up if needed.
Then fully charge the battery from the mains with a battery charger.

Get an electrical test meter and check the battery voltage. Expect 12v-14v DC.

Reconnect it to the bike but do not start the engine. Check that the indicators flash and that the lights all seem to work a the correct brightness.

Get an electrical test meter and check the battery voltage. Expect 12v-14v DC.

Get an electrical test meter and check the regulator.
http://www.ns400r.co.uk/ns400r/manual/1 ... system.htm

I will double check the readings from my regulator tomorrow for you.
oh...Sometimes I do have a problem getting into 2nd and sometimes it will drop back into neutral. It's an '85 f. ... best regards to all....
Ooops, viewtopic.php?t=488

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

I would check the main earthing points, engine to frame, and wiring loom to frame.

Corrosion doesnt always show up until you have removed the bolts.

Have you tried the battery on any other vehicle ?

Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

Seems that the bike still has the original sealed Honda battery and that is now past it's 'sell by' date as it's not holding it's charge. I think that Richard is going to source a replacement battery.

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Ian wrote:Seems that the bike still has the original sealed Honda battery and that is now past it's 'sell by' date as it's not holding it's charge. I think that Richard is going to source a replacement battery.
I would still check the earthing, theres no guarantee that with a new battery installed, some fault that has appeared in the circuit might not shorten the life of the new one.

Richard Cuthbert

Rick ;;;while starring at said battery

it could well be the original! YUASA YT5L BS 12V 4A . Looks ..well....original as in old. Will give it one last charge to confirm ob
.... then buy a new one.....finally... because it's not as crazy expensive as I've come to ecpect here in france.

Found that Cardy Moto's has the YUASA listed... about 45£ (bit steep)and there's a Taiwanese YUASA TURBO or a France Equipment..about 23£.
which is reasonable!... Will take your advice about grounding points and corrosion though. Two of the turn indicator light sockets are very corroded and there are a few spliced wires.

so cheers and here's to not talking about electrical meters next time out.

rvt2002

Post by rvt2002 »

Thats what i meant buy a new battery first then if the problem still exist then try all the suggestion above. A dead battery wont charge no matter how long you charge it.

Richard Cuthbert

Exactly as you said rv but I honestly thought i'd be lookin' at 100 euros!
but for 33..

rvt2002

Post by rvt2002 »

Bought my battery for $35 not yuasa though :)

http://www.absbattery.com/marlifeline/m ... teries.htm

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I found a battery on e-bay, was cheap, around $40!

Good thing, too, cuz she ran like crap with the old one!

Hondaen

Post by Hondaen »

The ns can rune relative fine without a battery.

The only problem is the oil level indicator. It need a certain voltage to function, thus it will not work properly at engine idlespeed.
Soichiro Honda - "I've never refused competitors' visits to our factory. I've welcomed them at any time. Because I am willing to jump to new innovations when they try to follow us."

Richard Cuthbert

...well ....as in "chapter 2 " Rick got up early and FINALLY arrived at the Cardy Shop and they had that Taiwanese Yuasa for the NS...yes they did...30 Euros and they charged it. I appreciated that...nice folks.
In the bike this afternoon and upon firing it up all seems fine. Checked the voltage with the engine running and it showed 14 + at idle. I'm no genius with electrics so will take it out for a stroll tomorrow and see if the charge stays. The old battery, after it was charged, seemed fine until I rode it for a bit the next day, stopped for awhile, then on restart "damn" dead again.
So hopefully new battery will do it! So far so....
.....good as it turns out...Day 1 and she's running good! Friday the 30th...rain so no ride......

Richard Cuthbert

Well I am happy to report no problems as the new battery has cured all ills..so Thanks all for your support and best regards...Rick

Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

God to hear mate. :D