Mystery Breakdown....

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
EdUK

Mystery Breakdown....

Post by EdUK »

My Dad was out on his NS - travelled about 7 miles and parked for a couple of hours. When he tried to ride home he made about 3 miles before it just conked out. Endless amounts of kicking it over would not start it and it did not even fire once. After waiting for a guy with a van to travel down from london taking some 2 hous , the man said try it again and guess what - away it went , as if nothing was the matter !!! We have had a quick look over it but can find nothing obvious - before we start taking it apart has anyone else encountered this ? Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Edwin

Hondaen

Post by Hondaen »

Fuel ? Spark?

My first tought is fuel problem.

Check the vakuum diagram for function, fuel valve. Open carb. drain and check if fuel is coming out.
Soichiro Honda - "I've never refused competitors' visits to our factory. I've welcomed them at any time. Because I am willing to jump to new innovations when they try to follow us."

EdUK

Post by EdUK »

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I suspected - the fuel tap! I figured if it was electrical it would be unlikely to come back to life on its own. We will have that apart soon to check it out.
cheers,

Edwin

geez-r

Post by geez-r »

Hi. That's happened to me before. Turned out that the vent hole mechanism in the fuel filler cap was clogged up and a vacuum had formed in the fuel tank itself. More likely to be something to do with the fuel tap and vacuum pipe though.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Did the bike just cut out, or gradually lose power before cutting out?

A gradual power loss would indicate fuel starvation, so could well be a build up of vacuum in the tank, or a fault with the tap as has been suggested. Although, again from experience, the only tap failures I've had have resulted in a constant fuel flow, or fuel actually leaking around the seal inside the tap.

If the bike just stopped, it could also be an electrical fault. I've had a pulse generator fail when it's hot, but be fine a couple of hours later when it's had time to cool down again. Remembering that 1 & 3 fire together, you would lose both front cylinders, and pretty much all the power, if that pulse generator were to fail. It may be a good idea to check earths and electrical connections.

Just a thought

Good Luck!

Regards

Mark

EdUK

Post by EdUK »

Thank you all. I have logged all that and we will check it out.