More to do with turbocharging 2 wheels than the bike itself

If your problem does not fall into the above catagories, hopefully you will find some answers here. Posting restricted to registered users.
Channel Hopper

More to do with turbocharging 2 wheels than the bike itself

Post by Channel Hopper »

The video makes sense that the additional power with a four stroke can make it almost unrideable, but would a turbocharger fitted to two strokes help with the issues of emissions that put multicylinder ones into extinction ?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 3686953251

Lynton

re turbocharger

Post by Lynton »

No.When the path from the inlet through the cylinder and out the exhaust was open the wastage would be huge and the polution with the raw charge enormous. The expansion chamber is a type of passive supercharger anyway
The only effective supercharged two strokes are the "Detroit Diesel" truck engines

Lynton

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Understood, but I would propose the porting heights on a turbocharged two stroke design would be sufficiently different from the normal aspirated version to endure a through path to the exhaust is minimised.

Yamaha used disc porting to good effect on their earlier twostrokes, which I heard was more environmentally friendly than using reeds. I would hazard a guess that the use of sleeve valves on the exhaust side would give improved timing.

The forcing of the mix into the chamber imo is the weak point, a lot of engine issues do stem from seal blow by, and of course the chance of particle contamination / lubrication starvation of the big end bearings

Will look more into the Detroit version over the next few days, I do recall a design that used a stepped (two stage) piston system that eliminated the bottom end completely from the combustion path, is it similar ?

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Channel Hopper wrote: I do recall a design that used a stepped (two stage) piston system that eliminated the bottom end completely from the combustion path, is it similar ?
Found it (or at least something similar)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /604080316

The Scuderi design

and a blog on the subject

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/19/scud ... otto-cycle

Hondaen

Post by Hondaen »

It is fully possible to turbo-convert regular two stroke engines that we use.

Her in norway, several snow-scooters are turbo convertet. 600 ccm two stroke rotax engines and the output a shitload of power.
Soichiro Honda - "I've never refused competitors' visits to our factory. I've welcomed them at any time. Because I am willing to jump to new innovations when they try to follow us."

Channel Hopper

Post by Channel Hopper »

Can you provide some links to them ?

Off-topic (considering it was somewhat off topic anyway) How far are you from Trondheim ? I have seen a vacancy for an engineer at the NTNU Plant Biocentre there, but cannot get any further details from their site.